Every team requires an Umpire. As part of our commitment to the development of Netball for our young players we offer a variety of support to those taking up the challenge of controlling games.
People interested in umpiring must be over the age of 11 years (Year 6) and must have completed an umpiring course.
Compulsory Team Umpires Meeting
On Wednesday, 5th May 2021 at 7.00pm – 8.30pm in the Pinehurst Staff Room (building next to the middle courts, right off the entrance driveway) a meeting will be held for the team umpires of each team. We will outline our program, rules and the Kidzplay Netball expectations of umpires.
Please note it is compulsory for team umpires to attend this meeting.
Coaches may also attend this meeting; it will help them to understand the rules and the expectations of umpires.
Our 2021 Umpiring Courses:
- What: Intensive 1-Day umpiring course. A course for beginner umpires or those wishing to refresh themselves on the rules and court etiquette.
- Who: Everyone and anyone who is 11 years of age (Year 6) and older.
Coaches will also benefit from this course; it will help them to understand the rules and the expectations of umpires.
Saturday 8 May 2021Fully booked and registrations are now closed for this date
- Saturday 16 October 2021
- Time: 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Venue: Pinehurst Staffroom (view map here)
- Bring: Whistle, pen, lunch, drink and please wear clothing and shoes suitable for participation (Whistles will be available for purchase)
- Cost: $30.00 per person (includes a work book), payable on the day
- Register: Registrations are now CLOSED for the course on Saturday 8 May
Registrations for the course on 16 October will open soon
N.B. Spaces are limited so registrations are essential!
Registrations close by the Thursday (5.00pm) prior to the course unless course is full before this date
Classes are limited to 40 people (minimum of 18)
One-day Theory Class
- What: A one-day theory class covering the basic rules of umpiring with a practical session in the afternoon. This has a Netball North Harbour Junior Theory exam component which allows the umpire to be coached towards a Junior umpiring badge at Netball North Harbour.
- Date: Saturday 1 May 2021
- Time: 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Venue: Pinehurst School Staffroom (view map here)
- Cost: $55.00 per person
- What to bring: Whistle, pen, highlighter, snacks, lunch, drink bottle
- What to wear: Suitable clothing (to be out on the courts) with correct sports footwear
- Facilitator: Sharon Fraser – Umpire Development Coordinator at Netball North Harbour
- Register: Registration is essential to secure a place. Please email email@example.com with your details (name, school year, contact number)
We will have a pool of umpires from which we may be able to supply an umpire for your game, if required. This can either be a long standing arrangement or a one off request. If you require an umpire each week please mark this on the registration form.
One-off requests need to be booked by the Tuesday prior to the game so that we can arrange to have someone available. If you cancel your umpire request you must let us know before the Wednesday (10am) prior to the game or the $10 will still be payable to the umpire (please hand into the control table)
The Umpire fee of $10.00 per game is to be paid directly to the umpire, preferably before the game.
The following may be purchased from the Control Desk at Courts A – F on Saturdays:
- Hand held Whistles $12.00 (black)
- International Rule Book $6.00
Click here to view a copy of the new International Rule Book (2020 Edition).
2 & 3E
3B, C, D & 4E
4B, C & D
4A & 5
|Held Ball||5 seconds||4 seconds||3 seconds|
|Stepping||All travelling – allow for balancing||All stepping (give warning for 1st stepping or dragging)||All stepping |
|Obstruction||Remind about distance – enforce if no attempt is being made to correct||All obstruction|
|Replay Ball||Be lenient||All replayed ball|
|Short Pass||All short passes|
|Offside||All offside when ball is involved||All offside|
|Over a Third||All over a third|